Future of the Customizer

Home Forums Community Summit Discussion Topics Future of the Customizer

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Weston Ruter
    Participant

There are 100+ open tickets in the Customize component. We have a lot of ideas for improving the Customizer, and Nick Halsey has even been putting together a Customizer Roadmap for how to roll these out. We’re transitioning from just “Theme Customizer” down a path toward what some may call “customizing all the things”. It would be great to discuss the future of the Customizer together, leveraging this excellent framework for previewing any change to WordPress.

Adam Silverstein
    Participant

+1 – I would love to work on integrating revisions into the customizer

Sé Reed
    Participant

+100!

the customizer is vastly underused by 3rd party theme developers. i’ve finally been seeing some shifts from theme options to the customizer in the last few months, but the implementation is often rather messy, esp now with widget panels, etc.

i think the customizer vis-a-vis random theme options panels is vital to somehwat standardizing/optimizing the theme setup experience (esp for the DIY user). or maybe standardizing a theme options panel along with the customizer for live previews. either way, def needs discussion!!!

Weston Ruter
    Participant

From Nacin’s post on Make Core this morning, he linked to a post about the Customizer which was written for the previous community summit. The post was a draft, so it hasn’t been seen until now: The Future of the Customizer.

Interesting to look back at this piece of history from Koop.

I find it interesting that under “What else can we customize?” he identifies Widgets, which is what we added in 3.9. He also identifies Menus, which is what Nick Halsey (celloexpressions) has been working on. And then he also identifies “post previews” which is something else I’ve been prototyping.

Roadmap for allowing the customizer to support multiple instances, which allows it to be used in any use case, instead of just theme switching.

This action item was done, as you can open the Customizer without doing a theme switch now. But perhaps he has in mind what Eric Lewis has brought up in #29071 (Make it easier to include an instance of the Customizer outside of customize.php).

How far will WordPress core go in terms of adopting the customizer?

Customize all the things! 😉

Patrick Rauland
    Participant

+1 – At WooThemes we’ve been looking at the customizer not just for theme options but also for certain plugin settings. Would love to flesh out a roadmap for the customizer.

Eric Andrew Lewis
    Participant

Dig.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Community Summit Discussion Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

October 25-26, 2014