Rosetta sites and local communities

Home Forums Community Summit Discussion Topics Rosetta sites and local communities

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Xavier Borderie
    Participant

Rosetta sites are the language-specific subdomains of WP.org: ja.wordpress.org, de.wordpress.org, es.wordpress.org, etc.

They offer nice tools (feedback form, showcase, soon a local forum, and oh, A BLOG!), and until recently was used by translators to build local packages.

Some local communities use it as their main (or only) site, while others only rely on it for hosting the WordPress zip archives.

It would be nice to have a conversation about local and international plans from the WordPress project towards communities, in light of the recent evolution and proposed changes for Rosetta sites.

For instance, would long-standing local forums be required to move from their installation to the Rosetta bbPress install? What about their existing showcase? Is there a plan to allow more customization for these sites, such as custom themes, known and secure plugins? Etc.

Petya Raykovska
    Participant

+ 1

I’d love to be a part of this discussion. Rosetta sites are a gateway to better i18n and local community development. In light of the recent plans to include plugins and themes in GlotPress they will be an invaluable tool for communication between the growing number of local translators and validators.

David Decker
    Participant

We should open up the space for this things:
    P2 blogs for local rosetta sites, for example: the team behind de.wordpress.org should be able and allowed to open more than once such P2 blog if needed, better: optionally even O2 blog 🙂

Also, give the opportunity to use bbPress forum plugin not the old bbPress 1.x

Give those local community more freedom and more technical power! This WILL bring more rosetta sites under the WordPress.org umbrella and strengthens the whole project a lot in the longterm view!

As less restrictions as possible!!!

Marko Heijnen
    Participant

I would love to join this discussion as well. I would love to help out making our tools better but no clue how to start with that. I have no problem to put a lot of my work time aside to focus only on our i18n tools so we can have improvements with every WordPress release.

Birgit Olzem
    Participant

+1

I would love to join this discussion as well, too.
    We´ve collect some ideas and improvements for the rosetta sites in our team around de.w.org, wich I will share.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Community Summit Discussion Topics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

October 25-26, 2014